Archive | September, 2017

Quilted pencil case

15 Sep

My sister asked for a pencil case with a flat-ish design so it doesn’t take up too much space in her bag, for when she goes into her final year of university soon. It was for her birthday so I also got sone cute simple earrings and a cross stitch magazine which comes with several kits for Christmas cards and decorations – she is keen to get into crafts and I thought this would be a good introduction.

Anyway, about the pencil case!

I got this lovely Liberty Tana Lawn “Betsy”, with a darker fabric on the inside so it will better absorb pen/pencil mess. I used the tutorial for a coin purse from sew me happy, but with 10×10″ pieces of fabric and a ~12″ zip. 

The zip looks way more wonky in this photo than it actually is!

I decided to use fusible wadding, as I felt a pencil case could use more structure/support than normal interfacing would give. I then quilted 1.5″ squares on both the outer and lining fabrics before continuing with the tutorial. Awkwardly I could only find my bobbin spool of lilac fabric, so had to use that as the main/top thread and a different colour (I chose white) for the bottom/bobbin. Hopefully it’ll never be visible!

I am really happy with it!

Advertisements

Kids’ name bunting

8 Sep

This month my niece and nephew have their birthdays, and their mum asked me to make them some bunting with their names on.

As it had to fit on their door I only had about 36″ length to work with – for 9 letters!

For each set I needed:

  • 18 triangles 4″ tall and 3.5″ wide – 10 in one fabric and 8 in a coordinating fabric e.g. light and medium pink
  • A 7″ square of one of the triangle fabrics to make bias binding for the bunting string
  • About 2″ by 12″ of whichever fabric you want the letters in
  • About 2″ by 12″ of a contrasting fabric (e.g. dark pink) to use to make the outline on the letters
  • Pinking shears
  • Matching thread (light-medium)
  • Fabric glue and/or paper-backed fusible interfacing
  • Letters to trace
  • Craft knife and cutting mat

I had most of these fabrics in my stash, except the lighter letter fabrics which I got from the market in Durham.

 First, I cut out the triangles using a rotary cutter, and sewed each pair together up the diagonal ends about 5mm from the edge. Then I trimmed the diagonal edges with the pinking shears. Since the width of the bunting was limited, I wanted to make the most of the space, and so this worked better than having seams on the inside, and it sits flatter.

Then, I had to cut out the letters. I used the Microsoft font Impact, in bold with a black outline and coloured in white, in about size 200. I was going to print it off and cut out the letters, to trace onto the fabric but then I realised: I recently bought a tablet, so I could trace the letters off that! It worked perfectly, as it is backlit it is really easy to see the outlines of the letters. I downloaded an app called Touch Lock (on Android) to make sure that I didn’t move the screen or zoom in etc while tracing. Important to remember when tracing: you might need to reverse/mirror the letters (I did, writing on the paper side).

I traced the letters onto the paper-backed webbing, ironed them onto the fabric, and cut the letters out using a craft knife. Then, I ironed the letters onto right side of the darker / contrast fabric, and ironed paper-backed webbing onto the wrong side of the darker / contrast fabric. Then, I cut out the letters in the contrast fabric close to the original letters, to give a nice outline. I then ironed the letters onto the triangles.

Next, I had to make the  bias binding. I used the technique from So-sew-easy, using a 7″ square of fabric. I pinned the triangles into the binding and sewed one line down the bias binding close to the open edge.

I should have used the fabrics on the blue one differently -the navy polka dot triangles should have been swapped with the medium blue pattern outlining the letters, which would have helped the letters to stand out more – it is more readable in real life though so I am happy.

Also, when making the blue one the paper-backed webbing just wouldn’t stick. So instead of freaking out I bought fabric glue and I think it’s great! As I wasn’t intending to sew around the edges of these, the glue is better as it is stronger, especially if kids play with it and lead to it needing to go in the washing machine – I have no idea how the interfacing would hold up in the wash.

 

Liberty print sleeping eye mask

1 Sep

It’s September again, when my sister-in-law, sister, neice, and nephew all have their birthdays – which means lots of fun sewing for me!

My sister-in-law asked for a new eye mask, and since it’s for a gift I figured I should go for a slighty more expensive fabric than I usually would – I decided to buy a piece of gorgeous Liberty Tana Lawn (maddock) and team it with some fleece and lingerie elastic (cute and comfy!). I really love this fabric! I added some Montezuma chocolates and a bath bomb.

I like to add two straps rather than just one, which helps to stop it rising over the head in the night as the lower strap sits under the ears. You can see on the left in the photo below where I add them.

I used the tutorial from the red kitchen, which has a really helpful template too!