Tag Archives: bunting

Scrappy bunting!

5 Sep

My sister-in-law asked me for some bunting for the church’s small hall for kids’ parties – a great opportunity to delve into my fabric stash!!

Sara'sBunting

The church hall is 5-6m wide, so I made the bunting about 8m (for the string I took 8 strips of 2″ wide fabric, the width of the fabric, so it’s probably a bit longer than 8m) so it will have a nice amount left over for the drapey look. It took the equivalent of 5 fat quarters plus 8m*5cm for the ‘string’ (I turned it into bias binding).

I love that it’s made with all the leftover fabrics from my previous projects for the family – aprons, hooded towels, beanbags (2), and not for them but my very first sewing project, a purse I gave my mum! It brings back lovely memories of making and giving those gifts as well as being a fun sewing project by itself :)

Then as a little extra gift, I made her a set of reusable cotton wool pads, with a fat quarter by ‘kimono’  (it’s such gooooorgeous fabric) and some leftover fleece. I’ve been using mine for a while and she seemed interested in some, so I hope she likes them! I also made this little envelope pouches to keep/wash them in.

Sara'sFacePads.jpg

I wouldn’t normally have given her the ‘botched’ ones but here I figured they are fine as ones to use with anything that will stain (i.e. nail varnish remover!)

This was my first sewing project after a rough summer (a break up after 8 years, so I am back living with my parents and less space to sew!) so it was lovely to start with a simple but really satisfying project that will get plenty of use :)

Advertisements

Kids’ name bunting

8 Sep

This month my niece and nephew have their birthdays, and their mum asked me to make them some bunting with their names on.

As it had to fit on their door I only had about 36″ length to work with – for 9 letters!

For each set I needed:

  • 18 triangles 4″ tall and 3.5″ wide – 10 in one fabric and 8 in a coordinating fabric e.g. light and medium pink
  • A 7″ square of one of the triangle fabrics to make bias binding for the bunting string
  • About 2″ by 12″ of whichever fabric you want the letters in
  • About 2″ by 12″ of a contrasting fabric (e.g. dark pink) to use to make the outline on the letters
  • Pinking shears
  • Matching thread (light-medium)
  • Fabric glue and/or paper-backed fusible interfacing
  • Letters to trace
  • Craft knife and cutting mat

I had most of these fabrics in my stash, except the lighter letter fabrics which I got from the market in Durham.

First, I cut out the triangles using a rotary cutter, and sewed each pair together up the diagonal ends about 5mm from the edge. Then I trimmed the diagonal edges with the pinking shears. Since the width of the bunting was limited, I wanted to make the most of the space, and so this worked better than having seams on the inside, and it sits flatter.

Then, I had to cut out the letters. I used the Microsoft font Impact, in bold with a black outline and coloured in white, in about size 200. I was going to print it off and cut out the letters, to trace onto the fabric but then I realised: I recently bought a tablet, so I could trace the letters off that! It worked perfectly, as it is backlit it is really easy to see the outlines of the letters. I downloaded an app called Touch Lock (on Android) to make sure that I didn’t move the screen or zoom in etc while tracing. Important to remember when tracing: you might need to reverse/mirror the letters (I did, writing on the paper side).

I traced the letters onto the paper-backed webbing, ironed them onto the fabric, and cut the letters out using a craft knife. Then, I ironed the letters onto right side of the darker / contrast fabric, and ironed paper-backed webbing onto the wrong side of the darker / contrast fabric. Then, I cut out the letters in the contrast fabric close to the original letters, to give a nice outline. I then ironed the letters onto the triangles.

Next, I had to make the bias binding. I used the technique from So-sew-easy, using a 7″ square of fabric. I pinned the triangles into the binding and sewed one line down the bias binding close to the open edge.

I should have used the fabrics on the blue one differently -the navy polka dot triangles should have been swapped with the medium blue pattern outlining the letters, which would have helped the letters to stand out more – it is more readable in real life though so I am happy.

Also, when making the blue one the paper-backed webbing just wouldn’t stick. So instead of freaking out I bought fabric glue and I think it’s great! As I wasn’t intending to sew around the edges of these, the glue is better as it is stronger, especially if kids play with it and lead to it needing to go in the washing machine – I have no idea how the interfacing would hold up in the wash.